TrueBeam™ STx Advantage
Meet the TrueBeam STx
TrueBeam STx is an advanced technology that delivers a specialized form of radiation therapy called stereotactic radiosurgery, or stereotactic body radiation therapy. Capable of “shaping” the radiation beams delivered during treatment, TrueBeam STx allows our clinical experts to vary the beam size and treat a larger variety of tumors throughout the body.
During TrueBeam STx procedures, patients lie on a treatment table while the machine rotates around them, delivering high doses of radiation aimed directly at their tumor and sculpted to match the 3D shape of the tumor. The cumulative dose of radiation delivered by the TrueBeam STx kills tumor cells while minimizing exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
Most treatment sessions typically last 15 – 20 minutes depending on the size, shape and location of the tumor. These sessions last about one-third of the time that previous machines took to deliver the same dose of radiation, offering improved patient comfort and improved safety.
Key advantages of Radiosurgery:
- Five or fewer outpatient treatment sessions
- Noninvasive, no incisions
- No anesthesia or hospitalization required
- Pain Free
- Outpatient procedure
- Little to no recovery time
- Allows for an immediate return to daily activities
- Minimal, if any, side effects due to pinpoint precision of high-dose radiation delivery
- Minimal radiation exposure to healthy tissue surrounding a tumor
RadioSurgery may be an option for patients with:
- Medically inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or those who seek an alternative to surgery or conventional radiation therapy.
- Recurrent cancer or metastatic tumors that have spread to other areas of the body from the main tumor site.
- A high risk of developing complications after surgery.